In the Home

BT Free Directory Enquiry Service

BT offer special Free Directory Enquiry Service for people who have difficulties in reading or handling the Phone Book.

Call Freephone 195 and talk to one of the operators, the operator will connect the enquirer, free of charge, to the Pin Registration Team who will ask some questions, enter the answers on an application form, and post it to the individual with a reply paid envelope.

The form should then be signed and countersigned by a health professional. Once the application is approved, a plastic card is issued with a PIN number.

When the cardholder needs a phone number, dial Freephone 195, give their PIN number and the enquiry will be answered. Textphone users contact TYPETALK on 0800 7311 888 (BT no longer registers new users) or go to

Telephone Preference Service

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS. The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

Who can register? The term individual includes consumers at their residential address, sole traders and, except in Scotland, partnerships.

How long will it take to become effective? Once a number has been registered it will become effective in 28 days.

Is there any charge for registering? No, it’s free to register on the TPS.
Who pays for TPS? No money is received from the Government to run the Service, the direct marketing industry pays for it

To register just ring 0845 07 007 07

Security in the home

Here is a quick reminder of some of the things you can do to improve the security in your home.
If you are replacing or fitting new doors and windows get ones that are certified to British Standard BS7950(windows) or PAS24-1doors)

Fit 5 lever mortise locks (Kitemarked BS3621) to all front and back doors and locks to all downstairs windows or windows which are easy to reach.

Keep your house and car keys safe and away from doors and windows.

Fit a burglar alarm but make sure it is installed properly and works to British Standard BS4737

Keep your garage and garden shed locked with proper security locks, and keep any tools secure and out of sight.

Trim back any plants or hedges that a burglar could hide behind.

Make sure you have up to date insurance.

For general Crime Reduction advice tel 01785 233376

For advice on how to Design Out Crime tel 01785 232987

For advice about Neighbourhood Watch schemes tel 01785 232988

Working smoke alarms save lives !

You can get free Fire Alarms from the Fire Brigade by ringing 01785 285000 Mon to Fri 9 to 5

Alarm Pendants

There is a 24 hour Monitoring service, the many aim of which is to assist older, disabled and vulnerable people to live independently at home, safe in the knowledge that help is only seconds away.

It can provide you with the help you need by installing an alarm unit and pendant in your home.

You can get information on these services by ringing.

Newcastle Care Call Tel 0800 0857543
Moorlands Careline Tel 01538 380600
Stoke-on-Trent Lifeline Tel 01782 234545
MEB Constant Careline Tel 0800 444 004

The Home Energy Efficiency Scheme

Offers grants to reduce your fuel bills, keep your home warm and free of damp and reduce carbon dioxide emissions through lower energy use.

Most of the grants are offered to householders meeting certain eligibility criteria. These include whether or not you receive an income of disability-related benefit, whether your home is rented or owned, where you live and how energy efficient your home currently is.

To contact them ring Freephone 0800 3162808.

Water Meter

Water meters are often installed free of charge and might save you hundreds of pounds.
For more information ring Severn Trent Water on 0800 783 4444 or your local water supplier.

Handyperson Service

The Handyperson service offered by the “Staying Put” Scheme, which subject to certain criteria, is subsidised to enable elderly and disabled to have small repairs carried out economically.
How do I contact them?
Tel 01782 203568